|The PC10422 Series of ARCNET Network Interface Modules (NIMs) also enables ARCNET connectivity for PC/104 compatible computers, but it is designed with the COM20022 controller chip.
The COM20022 controller chip incorporates improved features over earlier generation ARCNET chips such as command chaining, sequential access to internal RAM and duplicate node ID detection. Bus contention problems are reduced since the module only requires an I/O address. There is no requirement for wait-state arbitration, and the +5V only operation decreases system cost by eliminating mulitple voltage power sources.
Two LEDs on the module's board monitor network operation and bus access to the module. The PC10422 is equipped with an eight--position, general purpose DIP switch used to assign the ARCNET node address without removing the module. The node address is configured via software so the DIP switch can also register user-defined functions such as data rate, cable interface, or master/slave status of the PC/104 system.
The PC10422 is designed with several flexible cabling options. The PC10422-CXS supports coaxial star configurations requiring external active or passive hubs. The PC10422-CXB accommodates a coaxial bus configuration requiring no hubs, and allowing multiple modules to communicate over a single coaxial cable. Similarly, the PC10422-TPB supports twisted-pair bus cabling using either RJ-11 or screw terminal connectors.
The series also accommodates three separate EIA-485 physical-layer implementations. The PC10422-485D supports the EIA-485 DC-coupled cabling standard while the PC10422-485X provides transformer-coupled EIA-485 operation. Certain applications require that the COM20022 be operated in backplane mode. The PC10422-4000 is intended for these applications and supports the transformer-coupled EIA-485 physical-layer interface. All EIA-485 models are fitted with dual RJ-11s and a three-position screw terminal connector to ease field wiring.
- Utilizes COM20022 ARCNET controller
- Interfaces ARCNET with PC/104 bus computers
- Zero wait-state arbitration typical
- Deterministic, high-speed 2.5 Mbps ARCNET token-passing local area network (LAN)
- Enhanced software capabilities over earlier generation ARCNET controllers
- Supports coaxial and twisted-pair cabling including EIA-485
- Command chaining for enhanced performance
- Node address switch selects one of 255 possible station addresses
- Variable data rates up to 10 Mbps
- Suitable with all Contemporary Controls' MOD HUB and AI Series active hubs
- CMOS design for low-power consumption