|The PC10466 Series of ARCNET Network Interface Modules (NIMs) enables ARCNET connectivity for PC/104 compatible computers.
ARCNET is classified as a token-bus LAN operating at 2.5 Mbps while supporting 255 nodes. Interfacing ARCNET to a host computer usually requires a Network Interface Module which plugs into the host computer's bus.
At the core of the PC10466's design is the 16-bit COM90C66 ARCNET controller chip. New features include command chaining and sequential I/O mapping of the internal RAM buffer. There is usually no requirement for wait-state arbitration. This product is backward compatible with earlier generation 90C26 and 90C65 8-bit ARCNET controllers and will operate as a replacement. However, to use the expanded features of the COM90C66, an improved software driver is required.
There is a dual LED located on the PC10466. The yellow LED indicates that the PC10466 is being accesssed via its I/O address. The green LED indicates that the PC10466 is transmitting ARCNET traffic on the network. The PC10466 also has a piano style DIP switch so that node addresses can be easily reassigned without removing the module.
The PC10466 is available in five versions. The PC10466-CXS supports coaxial star configurations requiring external active or passive hubs. In a two node system, simply connect the two CXS Network Interface Modules together using RG-62u coaxial cable. The length of the cable cannot exceed 2000 feet. If more than two NIMs are used on a network, either an active of a passive hub is required.
The PC10466-CXB accommodates coaxial bus configurations typically requiring no hubs. Other models include the PC10466-FOG which supports fiber optic cable with either ST or SMA connectors. The PC10466-TPB supports twisted-pair bus cabling using RJ-11 connectors.
- Utilizes COM90C66 16-bit ARCNET controller
- Interfaces ARCNET with PC/104 bus computers
- Zero wait-state arbitration typical
- Deterministic, high-speed 2.5 Mbps ARCNET token-passing local area network (LAN)
- COM90C26/90C65 software compliant
- Command chaining for enhanced performance
- Supports coaxial, fiber optic and twisted-pair cabling
- Supports either memory mapped or I/O mapped RAM buffer
- Node address switch selects one of 255 possible station addresses
- Boot ROM socket for diskless workstations
- Suitable with all Contemporary Controls' MOD HUB and AI Series active hubs
- CMOS design for low-power consumption